California law requires that Uninsured and Underinsured motorist coverage must be offered with every car policy issued in this state. 

The coverage is not required and if you don’t want it you have to sign a waiver excluding it. 

Uninsured motorist will pay for your medical expenses, loss wages and pain and suffering if you are involved in an accident where the other driver is not insured and is at-fault.  Uninsured property damage will pay for your car to be fixed up to $3,500.  If you are hit by a driver who leaves the scene, (hit and run), you are also covered under Uninsured motorist up to the policy limits. 

Underinsured motorist covers you if you are in an accident with someone who is underinsured.  So, let’s say the other party is at-fault and they don’t have enough money to cover the total claim, then your Underinsured motorist will kick in from your policy to pay the difference up to the policy limits.

If you have any questions contact your Insurance Agent or this Author.